Sunday, June 28, 2009

Fishlake Date





Yesterday Brian and I had a great date! We borrowed my dads Cherokee and went to Fishlake. Brian had never been there before and I thought he would enjoy it, I hope he did! We left Allie with my mom and McCoy was with his dad for the weekend, so it was just us. I forgot how much fun I have just being with Brian. We got to the lake about 10 am and just kind of took in the scenery. We didn't have a boat and the place where we wanted to bank fish was really crowded, so we decided to go up the road a bit and see if we could find another spot. We drove to Johnson's and decided that it looked pretty fun to hike around and drop in a line. Off we went! It was fun walking through the trees and we finally found a spot that looked pretty good. We no sooner got our line in and I had to go to the bathroom... So much for fishing! We loaded up all of our gear and headed back to the jeep. Brian said he wasn't disappointed because he didn't think that we would catch a fish anyway, I hope he wasn't. After the "potty break" we drove around for a while, always keeping an eye on the temp gauge so the jeep didn't overheat, and saw some really pretty places. There was even and "Old Spanish Trail" monument being put in and we stopped for some pics!

I had been bragging about the Bowery Haven Cafe and so we decided to eat there. It wasn't all that I remember it was, and a little pricey if you ask me, but oh well it was fun! We liked looking at all of the pictures of proud fishermen on the wall and enjoyed listening to the local gossip as we ate! After lunch we took a ride to the Fishlake Lodge, just to say we'd been there, and discovered that it could use some renovating! The Fishlake I remember as a kid is long gone, and it looks like it could use a facelift. I'm not so sure that Brian was impressed.

We decided that Fishlake wasn't all that great and decided to head back to Salina, taking the scenic route through Gooseberry. We were just onto the dirt road when we saw a fun little stream and decided to walk it for a while and see if we could find a fish. We did! Of course the were few and far between, and very small, but they were fish! We putted around there for a while just enjoying each others company and a lazy day together, and then headed back down the mountain.

It was a great time, and I enjoyed the conversation! It's amazing what a day a way from children can do for your relationship! Brian even made the comment that he had fun too, and that we should do it again, yay!

No comments: